So I've adapted the Yon Ape Men I created for LotFP to DCC RPG! Yay! Whoo! That's so cool, Tim!
Details will probably change over time, but for now, this is what the player's who have 1st level Yon characters are going to go by.
I wanted the class to be unique to itself, and not just be an established class with a twist. So I changed the backstory and turned them into mutants! Not just any mutants, but mutants who actively mutate whenever they are affected by spells!!!
Nah, probably not that crazy.
Keep in mind they only roll once on the table after they fail a saving throw vs magic. And not even all magic, as cleric spells and magic items have no additional mutational effect.
So you're a...
Awesome! You are a humanoid creature, an uplifted primate, a "missing-link" between monkeys, apes, and humans. At some point in the near past, your entire species was rapidly evolved to its present state. Scholars suggest this evolution was magical in nature, due to magic's seemingly random side-effects on the Yon physiology. Yon have since spread all over Strathos.
Here are some of the things you can do:
You receive d6 Hit Points at every level!
You're trained in the use of the Battleaxe, Club, Dart, Javelin, Spear, Staff, Two-handed club, and Warhammer.
You have big sharp teeth that causes a nasty bite. You can bite as an extra attack when in melee combat! (ATK: d14, DMG: d3+Strength Modifier)
Your feet can grab and hold things. They aren't nimble enough to be of any use in combat or to juggle, but they can hold your body weight by holding onto something. The big toe is used as a primitive thumb.
Unlike other classes, Yon gain random mutations as they are exposed to magic. Roll on the following table once every time you are affected by a magical effect that alters you in some way (fail a save vs Magic). Examples include; Failing a save against being Charmed, or becoming enchanted to speak and understand another languages would count.
Exclusions include Cleric magic, or wearing magical armor or wielding a magic weapon.
Magical Mutation Table:
- Susceptable to magic! You take a -1 penalty to all magical saves.
- Big giant head! Your skull, specifically your brain case, grows disproportionately larger than the rest of your body. You can Mind Blast everyone (friend or foe) in a 5 foot radius for d3 damage on a failed Will save of 10+your Willpower modifier. Using this power is painful and costs d3 hit points and causes a piercing headache that forces a penalty of -1 to all your rolls for d5 minutes. Every time this is rolled, the radius increases by 5 feet, the damage increases a die step, but the hit point costs increases by a die step, the penalty to all die rolls is made worse by 1 point, and the time you are debilited is increase by a die type in minutes.
- Skin toughens! Bonus to Armor Class: +1 every time this is rolled. This is not in addition to worn armor. This decreases movement to the point that you lose a point of Dexterity and take a penalty to Reflex saves of -1 every time this is rolled.
- Intimidate! To intimidate a creature, you beat your chest and growl and roar and pound the ground. They must make an opposed DC 10 Will save if intelligent, or a DC 5 Will save if of animal level intelligence. Failure means they cower or flee. Undead, golems, automatons, and the like are not affected. Add your Personality OR Strength modifier (whichever is higher) to make the DC more difficult. Roll this again and you get the bonus from Personality AND Strength modifiers. Subsequent rolls net you a +1 bonus
- Howler! make loud how's heard for miles. Rolled again and those in close vicinity must make a Fortitude save or go temporarily deaf for d4 hours. Roll this any more times and they suffer a -1 to their save attempt and the length of deafness increases by a die step in hours.
- Prehensile tail! your tail can grab things. It's not very strong though, 1/4 your Strength ability. Rolling this again increases it's strength to 1/2, then 3/4, then full strength. With each growth step, your tail lengthens 12 inches. On the other hand, your size decreases by 1 foot each time this is rolled.
- Bite! Your bite damage increases to d4 damage. Roll this again and it increases to d5, then d6, then d7 and so on. As your teeth enlarge, so does your jaw, and your overall features become more menacing; -1 to any Personality based check every time this result is rolled.
- Hyper-intelligence! Choose a new skill to be trained in; roll randomly on the Background Profession table to determine this. Choose a new skill every time this is rolled. This focus is offset by a penalty of -1 to any and all untrained skill attempts. This penalty is cumulative every time this result is rolled.
- Brute strength! add a D3 to any strength check or strength based action. Roll again and it becomes a d4, then d5, and so on. This also applies to melee damage. The massive increase in muscle mass causes a loss of dexterity, though; suffer a penalty of -1 to Reflex saves, and dexterity based actions.
- Size increase! You are a foot taller, a bit meatier, and your hit die increases to d8 per level. Roll again and you grow another foot and hit die becomes a d10. Another foot and a D12, another foot and a d14, lastly another foot and a d20. After that, every increase is another foot +1 HP. Unfortunately, you also become incremantally less capable of thoughtful action. Every time you roll this, you suffer a -1 penalty whenever you attempt a skill, and a -1 penalty to Willpower saves. Whenever you take damage in combat, you must make a Willpower save or else fly into a berserk rage; attacking any foes within sight without regard for strategy, tactics, or the wellbeing of yourself or other party members.
- Prehensile feet! Your feet become more dextrous and useful. They can be used attack with a weapon and use a d10 as an Action Die. Each time this is rolled, the Action Die increases a die step. After reaching d20, you get a +1 to hit with your feet every time this is rolled. Agility and Strength bonuses do not apply to feet attacks.
- Hand-eye coordination! You get a +1 to hit in combat, and your Crit Die increases by one step.
- Magical Resistance! You gain a +1 to s ave against Magic every time you roll this result.
- Color Change! Your skin and hair change colors. Roll once on the color list from Carcosa for skin color, and once more for hair color.
- Hair falls out! All your body hair falls out. Reroll this and it grows back. Reroll again and it falls out again.
- Magic Spell! You learn a random wizard magic spell. This spell is determined randomly; roll a d3 for the spell's level, and roll on that level's spell list. Casting this spell is the same as if you were a wizard, and uses your Action Die to roll the spell check. All consequences for failure (corruption, misfire, etc) also are the same as per the Wizard. Any effect this spell may have on you does not cause another roll on this Magical Mutation table.
|Level||Attack Bonus||Crit Die/Table||Action Dice**||Ref||Fort||Will|